Ham Vegetable Barley Soup
What you need:
- Electric skillet or conventional large skillet or saucepan, with cover
- 1 small onion (or half of a large onion), diced
- 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables
- 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 0.5 cup pearled barley
- 8 oz diced ham
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon powder
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
The pictures are shown cooking this in a saucepan on a stovetop, but you can load everything up into an electric skillet instead and get the same results.
Throw the diced onion and 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables:
Add the can of diced tomatoes and the 2.5 cups water:
Add the 8 oz diced ham and 0.5 cup pearled barley:
Stir it all up, and bring it to a boil on high heat:
Once it starts boiling, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes.
Taste, and adjust seasoning if needed. Salt, pepper, and/or lemon juice all work great to brighten it up if it seems a little bland. Makes terrific leftovers.